Friday, September 25, 2009

Fight the fight....

I'm joining my friend, Jamie, in her Fight the Fight series. I dont have anyone very close to me who has fought cancer. My husband, Kyle has. :/ His dad, Jerry, fought the battle and unfortunately lost it. Jerry was 47 yrs old when he was having some major abdominal pains. He went to the doctor to find out that he needed to get his gall bladder taken out because of gallstones. They had to do some testing on his lungs and such to see if he could withstand the surgery and they found it.... a spot of unknown on his lungs. They did further testing, biopsis (sp?) and found that it sure enough was cancer. They dubbed it "lung cancer" because that is the FIRST place they found it. Jerry was a smoker, but they didnt blame that. He underwent more and more tests and eventually they found it everywhere. Liver, lymphnodes, stomach, and brain. He had chemotherapy. His hair fell out. He had a full beard for as long as I had known him and for as long as Kyle could remember. He REALLY didnt look the same. He eventually was sent home, for there was nothing else they could do for him. He was on a morphine drip for a few weeks. On Prom day 2001, Kyle had left to get lunch for everybody at home before he started getting ready to take ME to the prom. While he was gone, his dad died. Dianne, his mom, was standing at the kitchen window when she felt a breeze of air. She looked over to the door and no one had come in. She went to Jerry's bedside and he passed VERY soon after. We all believe just maybe it was the angels coming to take Jerry home.  We did end up going to prom that night. :) We didnt stay long. We ate, we danced, we headed home early. I know Kyle's dad would be SO proud of him. He didnt see him join the Army, he didnt see him get married, he wont meet our children.... in person. I feel for sure Jerry watches over us though.
In memory of my father-in-law
Jerry L McKelvey
August 7, 1954 - April 14, 2001


Our best picture of Kyle's dad, which never gets packed up when we move. I make it a point to carry it on the road with us during moving. Jerry is on the left, his brother Terry on the right. :) Thanks for stopping by. If you have a story you'd like to share, head on over to Jamie's Fight the fight series for a chance to win her giveaway!!

3 comments:

Nicolasa said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure that Jerry is watching over too.

Jamie said...

Thank you! I hear such good things about Jerry. I am sure he is watching over y'all, and I am CERTAIN that he would be busting his buttons proud of Kyle!

Papa T said...

I still miss Jerry something awful, he was my "Brother".