Tuesday, June 9, 2009

So, since we've moved to Texas, I've noticed things that SC does/doesnt have that TX doesnt/does have. Let me elaborate.

Sidewalks. Where we live now, there are sidewalks on EVERY street. Back in SC, theres on sidewalks in the city limits, pretty much. The neighborhoods here are quite large, or the ones I've been in, but still. Lots of sidewalks. I love that about TX.

Gutters. The majority of houses here dont have gutters. That's strange to me. I guess though, it doesnt rain quite as much here as it does back home. So gutters would be kinda pointless. BUT, when it does rain, it downpours, and we have a waterfall DIRECTLY in front of our front door. Sucks to be the one parking out of the garage on those days. (usually kyle)

Packed out restaurants. Apparently, nobody cooks at home around here. EVERYDAY of the week, all the local restaurants are packed! We try to go on like Tuesdays or Wednesdays... and we still wait.

Mulch. In SC, most yards are landscaped with mulch. In TX, most yards have rocks. In SC, there are mulch mounds all over so that you can buy it in bulk. Here, you have to buy the little bags from Lowes.

Access roads. Kinda like a frontage road in SC. I dont know, its just different. If you miss an exit it seems like forever before you can get turned around to go back.

TX shaped stones. Texans are proud. For instance, my friend Jamie has a Texas shaped stone, with her house number on it. And she has Texas shaped stones in her flower bed.

Recycling service. Here in Killeen, we have a curbside recycling service. As far as I know in SC, there's trash service, but no recycling services. I like the recycling service. I guess that comes with population too.

Tall trees. I miss tall trees. I miss big ole oak trees, and magnolia trees. and pine trees. Trees dont grow any taller than a 2 story building, if that.

For now, that's all I can think of. The longer we're here, I'm sure more things will be brought to my attention.

Jamie, I blogged! Arent you proud? ;) MIss you!!

Until another day................

3 comments:

Jamie said...

good girl.
But...Yvette...we don't have sidewalks in our neighborhood, and we DO have gutters. ;)

Yvette said...

Maybe it's a heights/killeen difference. IDK. Just random stuff i've noticed ;) I guess i should pay more attention, right? LOL

Lory said...

The tree thing is really only in certain parts of Texas. Pine trees are a big deal in East Texas, and they can get pretty stinkin' tall! In fact, my brother knows he getting close to home when he sees the first pine tree. He refers to them as 'real trees' in fact.